Tuesday, August 30, 2011

2 weeks to triathlon

 We have a little less than 2 weeks before the Pumpkinman. This is our second year entering this triathlon. We conquered it 2 years ago for the first time ever and was able to cross it off my bucket list. It was something I always wanted to do. I enticed some good friends into doing it with me. I was the slowest of the bunch, mostly because of my swim. I was horrible at the swim. (Last year I was pregnant, so we didn't do the tri). Now, I am ready for it this year. I think I am in better shape this time than last.
   Two years age, I had to learn to put my face in the water and how to breathe. My deepest fear is to die from drowning. So the swimming part is very scary. If I get tired on the bike or run I can slow down. If I get tired on the swim, I can die. So the first year was trying to overcome my fear. I swam mostly the breast stroke so I didn't have to regulate my breathing. If I tried to free style, I started breathing heavy and panicked. Last time I was so exhausted, I only did the breast stroke during the race. The people on the kayaks asked if I was ok and needed help during the race. That was embarrassing. I was very slow, but I finished it.
  This year for swimming has been great. I started swimming in the pool with freestyle. I still panicked and choked on a lot of water. But I can stand up if needed. I also learned that if I go really slow I can swim farther. However, the water exercise class on the side of me was walking faster than I can swim. After a month in the pool, we decided to swim in the river. After putting on the wetsuit, we jumped in. It was a beautiful swim. It started drizzling as we swam. When we got to the other side, there was a double full rainbow in the sky. It was beautiful. When Scott tells about it, he refers to the youtube video of the man who sees the rainbow and is hysyterical. After a couple of times swimming outside I am very proud to say that I can finally swim almost half a mile doing the front crawl. I am still slow but I can do it. That is a great accomplishment.
Today's work-out was really good. Scott and I went on a 12mile bike ride followed by .3 mile swim. During the bike ride, there was a major head wind. We battled the wind the entire ride.  We made really good time. The swim was harder today. There was a strong current pulling against us. Also, the river was choppy. Usually the river is very calm, but because of the storm it wasn't. It felt good to get out in the waves because of the splashing that will happen during the triathlon. I did choke a couple of times, but I swam the front crawl the entire time.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Jody....wow...that's almost as much as I can muster as I read what you have written. I'll try to be brief, but know that I won't be as your post has touched many heart cords within me.
    I have always been a swimmer and have been connected to the water in a big way. I'm not a competitive swimmer but can hold my own decently, I mostly swim for fun. Often I have wondered about those who don't swim and have thought about it from my perspective because I love it so much, how much someone doesn't get to experience or how much they miss if they don't swim.
    I love the bouoyancy of the water, I feel weightless...and as someone who has been overweight most of my life, the opportunity to feel weight-less is a huge gift. You can be fluid in the water, graceful, connected to no one but nature, play around with going under the water, opening your eyes to see the wonders, or just keeping them shut hoping nothing is nibbling at your toes...mind over matter, I guess.
    I feel compelled to say how much I admire your bravery...I whole heartedly mean it. When you write that you had to learn as an adult to put your face in the water and breathe...kids learn that at a young age...adults have a harder time trusting because of the fear factor. And to think that your thought process was one of death if you got tired, takes my breath away.

    How did you push past such fear??? You pushed past enough to get in the river...that is HUGE, Jody...REALLY HUGE!!!

    I heard about the double rainbow that day and was sad that I missed it...now I know why we had one that day...to Honor You for pushing past fear, connecting to Faith, making that huge leap from the pool to the river...God was soooo pleased, He couldn't send only one rainbow...He needed to send TWO.

    Much Honor to you, Jody....much Honor.

    Donna Jutras Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Donna. I appreciate your comments. I too have learned to love to swim. I love being in the water and communing with nature. It is peaceful and exhilerating all at the same time. However, I still do not like to put my face in the water.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your blog; look forward to reading it first thing in the morning.
    Cler

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you. I appreciate it. Its hard to bare it all. I'm someone who keeps everything in, now I have to explain in details. Its good to do. Maybe sometime this will turn into a book. That's the long term goal, to inspire people and hear that everyone struggles and we're all in the same boat.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody...glad you have learned to LOVE the water!!!

    I want to tell you how much your blog has already made an impact on my life...it just goes to show me how important taking that step to make connections with people really is.

    Your bravery in taking that step to go outside your comfort zone or "box" to share in details with others WILL inspire MANY.

    I have already shared your blog with friends, who I have to tell you, just so you know...are really very interested and even though they don't even know you, are so proud of you.

    Your water sharing was from a heart level, that everyone can understand...and....ADMIRE.

    I work with Energy and vibration, as you know,...those good will thought vibrations of my friends...aka strangers...amplifies to you even without you knowing it and then it ricochets back to my friends from you, once your heart is open enough to receive that good will or love.

    THAT is what's called a TRUE heart connection...the figure 8...INFINITY...I posted something on Facebook the other day that said...Please be kind to yourself so you can be kind to me, and I will return the favor with UNCONDITIONAL LOVE and COMPASSION.

    Thanks for stepping out to share your unconditional love for yourself, and as such, unconditional love for others...YAY for YOU and YAY for US!!!

    Keep inspiring...I already hear you in my head kicking my butt when I want to take a short cut...you're making differences you aren't even yet aware of...it is hard to BARE ALL...it truly is, it requires Honesty and Integrity at a Soul level. Can't fool your Soul. Many are not willing to go there because it's uncomfortable and raw and emotional...and...once you do decide to go there...now what???

    Something has to shift or change...that "c" word is a killer...it requires action...I tell people to just take the baby step, trust in yourself, trust in God, be sincere, just show up...
    and as you do, your Soul gets to expand and grow...and THAT is a miraculous thing!!!

    Expand away Sista....Expand away!!!
    Donna Jutras Tobey

    ReplyDelete