Wednesday, January 4, 2012

God Led

After spending the weekend and holidays with a good friend, I believe our friendship was God led. Scott and I moved to Maine 13 years ago. So did my friend and her husband, however they moved from Colorado. We only met them 5 years ago at our office as patients. We immediately hit it off. After spending many months at the office with her, we started talking about triathlons. We were both really interested in doing them but never have. Neither of us were in "shape"enough to do it. So, we decided to train for a local triathlon together. We both spoke with our husbands and neither were very excited to do it with us. They were very supportive of us though. After several talks with them, the men agreed. We were going to do our first ever triathlon together. We started training mostly by ourselves or with our spouse. Occasionally, on weekends, we trained with our friends. During the summer, every Monday and Wednesday we went to Spring Hill to swim and bike. We over trained the route of the triathlon and we were becoming bored. Finally, the day arrive. It was beautiful. The crowds were roaring. The athletes covered the once empty field. Soon, we will be able to call ourselves triathletes. The race was exhausting but it was exhilarating to come across the finish line knowing that we completed a hard earned goal. We signed up for the Pumkinman again next year.

The next challenge began when I ordered Fun Passes for the year. (This is a coupon book for the Seacoast area where you buy an adult pass and a child gets in free) On the Breathe NH website, I saw a bike tour. I always wanted to do a 100 mile two day bike ride. I was excited to accomplish this tour. It was either one or two days. I approach my friend Marica with it and she agreed that would be great to do. Since we never rode that long before, we decided to do the 42 mile one day tour. Now, to talk the boys into it. Scott had no desire to ride a bike that long. He didn't like biking for the triathlon. That was his worst event, beside throwing up while swimming. My friend's husband was willing, so we had to convince Scott. Eventually, peer pressure won over. So, the following May we climbed on our bikes and rode. PS: I was pregnant and Scott had a herniated disc. But we still did it.  The ride was great. We started in Portsmouth and rode to Rye Beach and up the coast to Ogunquit. The most exhausting part was the hills in Kittery. They were constant. By the time we rode into York, we were hurting. York Beach is pretty flat but our legs were on fire and it was hard to enjoy the scenery. We finally came to Nubble Lighthouse and took a long break. After resting, we proceeded to our final destination. Crossing Route 1 we can hear the chorus of voices cheering us on to complete the last leg of the tour. Again, it was exhilarating. We did it! Another accomplishment down. However, we still want the 100 miler and may sign up for the Patrick Dempsey one of these years.

That same year we were signed up for the Pumkinman, but Scott nor I could race that year because of our conditions. Our friends still continued to enter the race and finish. We were very proud of them. We signed up again for the bike tour in May and I decided not to do it because baby Ella was too young and refused to take a bottle. I couldn't be away from her that long. So the boys did the tour and the girls stood back this time. It was good that we didn't do it because it rained most of the time. They finished first in their tour. We would have held them back so I'm glad they were able to put up a great time.

Scott and I wanted to sign up for the Seacoast Road Series this year. But trying to convince our friends was a little more difficult. She had knee problems and hated running. However, peer pressure wins out again. They signed up. We ran 6 out of 8 races with Market Square Day being a 10K and all the rest were 5K. Our first race was slow. I think we were about an 11 minute mile. By the end of the series, we broke the 10 minute mark. We were thrilled. Scott also broke his time of 24 minutes. Market Square Day is a race that I won't forget. Scott pushed Ella in a stroller and at the first corner the stroller wheel fell off. Marcia and I stopped to help put it back on. After about 3 minutes we started to run again. Scott took off to make up time. Marcia and I started out at our 10 minute pace again. We found out the Scott passed Gano on the run and made record time. He was fast. We weren't. Marcia wanted to walk around the five mile mark. We walked for a minute until I realized she wasn't in pain. She had to persevere and I pushed her to run again. She completed her first 10K race.

Since we were injured for the Pumkinman, we were able to move our entry to the following year. Our friends joined us again. We trained for the swimming together and ran sometimes together. But we didn't train as much as we could have. I still had some baby weight on and couldn't keep up with Scott on the bike. The year before biking was so easy, but not with extra weight. So I didn't want to bike that much. I mostly ran for the series and swam once a week. About a month before Pumkiman, Marcia wanted her chance to challenge me. She wanted to do a bodybuilding competition. She thought I would say no. However, I was all in. I always wanted to be a fitness competitor but didn't have the gymnastics background. So I never pursued it. But when Marcia approached me, I was all in. The next week I started my P90X program and there was no turning back.

We did finish the Pumkinma strong. I beat my time from last year. I am interested to see what my time will be if I enter this year. I wasn't planning on doing the tri, but with the weight lose and the added strength, I might kick some butt. We'll see.

So now, you are up to date with how our friendship started. We each pushed each other to go farther than we have before. Would we ever have thought about a triathlon if we didn't meet each other? Only God knows. Would I ever be training for a bodybuilding competition,only God knows. So after Marcia stated the she didn't know why God led her back to Maine, I was just kidding when I said it was me, but after thinking and charting our journey together, I know it has to be God led. We have both helped each other grow in a uncharted part of our life.I am blessed to have them as friends.

3 comments:

  1. Marcia Obrey Adair wrote:
    You are a WONDERFUL friend and the challenges that you have pushed me through have been incredible - can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for us!!! Spartan, bodybuilding, trainer, hmmmmmmmm - we are limitless together ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannine Fidler Trenholme wrote:
    Very good blog. It's amazing how we are all God led. The four of you keep up the good work. I'll do all the babysitting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jody....every time I read your blog I am compelled to comment...by now, you must be getting used to it, let me apologize in advance for any overstepping of boundaries. This time you have really touched upon a subject that is near and dear to MY HEART....being God led...GREAT TITLE!!!

    It is very interesting when we take the time to reflect and recognize and I would even push to say REMEMBER. No matter what your belief system may be, sometimes it's difficult or even times impossible not to recognize the obvious as it is laid out before you.

    As we are entering the Age of Aquarius, we are meeting our Sacred Families, Soul Families, some people would use the word Tribes. The Bible often refers to the 12 Tribes...12 also being a prominent number in Spirituality...12 Apostles, 12 Months, 12 Zodiac Signs, 12 is referenced much when digging deep for understanding and Wisdom. That we are now in 2012, you can expect to meet many people that will connect with you at a Heart level just as Marcia and Gano have...it's so wonderful to make these Heart connections.

    For me, that God is in the lead brings great comfort and JOY because who else better to lead???

    May you always be willing to allow God to lead.

    ReplyDelete