Friday, January 20, 2012

Half Marathon Relay

Over the weekend, we ran our second race of the Will Run for Beer series. We traveled to Milford, NH, which was an hour and a half away. This was the first indoor relay that we participated in.

Scott, Marcia, Gano, and I revived the Weekend Warriors. We pulled out our green team shirts with a viking on it. We donned our viking hats that we received from the Warrior Dash last year, and proceeded to the starting line. We each decided that Marcia and I would run 16 laps which was 3 miles. Gano and Scott would split the rest at four miles a piece. I lined up with all the other first leg runners. "On your mark, get set, Go," exclaimed the announcer. We were off. Since we needed to finish the race in under two hours, because another race would start, there was no slacking. I needed to run under a 10 minute mile. The track was springy, which made it easier to run. My splits were about 1:50 and under. The first half of the race went by quick. I scanned the monitor after every lap to keep count of what I ran. Wow, I ran faster than normal. The crowd cheered the runners on at every corner. Music blared in the background. The announcer announced the team as the runners crossed the timing mat. It was exhilarating to hear the race in progress. I looked down and realized I didn't have my running belt on. Coming around the corner, I spied Marcia. "I need my running belt," I exclaimed. My belt had our racing numbers on it. Off she went to retrieve the belt. Next lap around she handed my the belt. However, I had to hold it because I had the baton in my hand and couldn't put the belt on. Scott cheered me on with 3 more laps. Two more laps, faster I ran. One lap faster still. I was to hand off the baton to Marcia to run the next lap. I came around the corner and saw her waiting in the relay zone.  Breaking out into a sprint I chased her down and passed the baton. I stopped with exhaustion. I ran the 3.2 miles in under 30 minutes. I did it. My leg was done.

After catching my breath, I proceeded to the front lines to watch Marcia run her laps. She was in the zone. We had to call her to look up and smile for a picture. Next, Marcia handed the baton to Gano. He was a faster runner, so he was able to make up some time. We were an hour into the race with 6 miles down. Gano had a head cold and after 14 laps, he was done. His head was pounding. Scott rallied to the cause. He took the hand off and off he went. He was running 1:40 splits. We put him at the end because he can run the fastest and farthest. If my knee gave out, he was able to run the extra. He was calculated to run under 5 miles. The last 3 laps, he broke 1:35 splits. I yelled, last lap. He ran faster still. I was standing at the finish line. "Scott, your done", I exclaimed. I scanned the monitor and we completed the relay in 2 hours and 1 minute. We did it. We finished our half marathon relay in excellent time. I looked up to congratulate Scott. He was still running. Marcia and I looked at each other. "Isn't he done? What is he doing?" we called. We had to laugh. I guess he wanted to get the 5 miles in. The announcer called Weekend Warriors are finished. However, Scott was already half way around the track. He thought he had to complete the 69th lap but he didn't. He was a trooper, a warrior to the end. We completed our second race.

No comments:

Post a Comment