Thursday, January 12, 2012

I refuse to Give Up Running

When I signed on for a bodybuilding competition, I originally planned to compete in October. But I really wanted to do it sooner. So when I asked my trainer and she said I could be ready by July, I was excited. I wanted to get to the diet down portion quick. I wanted to start seeing my muscles pop out from all the hard work I've been doing. However, I also planned on running the Will Run for Beer series in the winter. This included a half marathon in April. Under normal circumstances, that would be doable if the competition was in October. But it is in July. I had it in my head that I was going to do the half marathon even though I never wanted to do a half before.

During last summer, Scott and I decided to run new route. Scott ran with me for the first 2 miles and then he broke off at a faster pace. I was feeling energized and invigorated.  Going through Old Mill, I took a shortcut to try to meet up with Scott.  We finally met up for the run back. He was exhausted. He had on new shoes and his feet were really bothering him. He had to keeping walking and couldn't understand why. I looked at the time and we ran for an hour and a half. We were shocked. We didn't realize we ran for that long. Later we drove the car to record the mileage we ran. I ran 8.5 miles and Scott ran 9.5 miles. No wonder why he was exhausted. He was running at a 5K pace for 9 miles. Poor Scott, I couldn't do anything but laugh in awe that we jogged that much. Ever since then, I realized that I could run a half marathon and that's all I wanted to do.

So, back to the present. I know everyone says that I cannot run and bodybuild at the same time. I get that. But I want to do it all. Why can't I do it all? If I train for the half marathon until April, I still have 4 months to lift heavy to gain muscle. I might not be as muscular as I planned. The running might eat away at some of my bulk, but I think I will be more well rounded. I will be fit all around. I don't want to be out of breath going upstairs, or having trouble running after my kids. I want it both ways and I plan to get it. I still want to do more triathlons and I plan to do the Disney marathon in January. I will continue to do both for as long as I can and then decide what I want to pursue.

1 comment: