Friday, September 9, 2011

Food Combining

I feel great today. When I went on the scale this morning, I was not looking for progress. I just wanted to lose what I gained last week. To my amazement, I lost another 2 pounds plus the pound I gained. I am thrilled. My pants definitely fit loser. I went out Tuesday to TJ Max and bought a couple of cute shirts. They looked good but would look better in 5 pounds. I can't wait. My diet was perfect these last few days. I ate my normal eggs for breakfast. I made skinless buffalo chicken for lunch, and steak tips and salad for dinner. I do not feel deprived with my foods. I enjoy eating salad and have always since I was a kid.

I am training my kids to eat salad as well. They have a salad every night for dinner. (Evan usually asks for seconds.) Usually they eat a meat as well without rice or potatoes. I believe that we should properly combine our foods to achieve maximum digestion. We should eat protein and vegetables or carbs and vegetables and not combine protein and carbs. Based on the digestion system, the proteins and carbs are an acid or base. What happens when you combine an acid and base? They neutralize themselves out. Your body needs to make digestive enzymes to breakdown to the food. It is easier to break down proteins and carbohydrates if eaten separately. Fruits should always be eaten separately. This type of food combining will make it easier to digest your food.
I am trained in holistic nutrition and raw food. There are many theories of eating correctly. Some follow the blood diet others like bodybuilders believe in eating carbs and protein at the same time to get all their nutrients. I try to heal the body and eliminate the toxins in the body. That is why I chose this type of program. This is the simpliest and easiest to follow. I am trying to work with the kids diet now and teach them the lifestyle that I want them to continue into adulthood.

I know there are many that don't agree with this theory. I have been eating like this for the past 10 years. When I am home cooking, I eat a salad almost every night with chicken or steak on it. My salads are not a small side salad. I find the biggest bowl I can and load it up with lettuce, cucumbers, shitaki mushrooms, tomatoes, pine nuts, sometimes avocado, scallions, red onions, dulse flakes, kelp flakes, maybe an egg, and anything else I can find. But when I go out to eat, forget it. I make healthier choices, but salads are usually more calories than fish and potatoes. So I definitely do cheat when I go out. I am only human after all.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jody...I find this post very interesting...you and I really do have lots in common. I have been interested in food combining for many years. I have lots of book on it and though I can't say that I have seriously applied the information, I have at times done it with success. My head gets bogged down some with the "rules"....what fruit to eat separately like watermelon because it putrifies in your stomach if eaten with other foods as it digests so quickly.

    Any suggestions on a simple small book that would give the basic food combinations as a reference guide?

    I want it to be simpler, not hard to find the info or hard to access so I can apply it easier.

    I am about healing the body and eliminating toxins too...or rather I would say, I am about getting the human body back to where it needs to be....homeostatis....so it doesn't have to heal at all, and can just work as it's supposed to.

    A few years ago, I met this guy who worked at Barnes and Noble and asked about a book so he was showing me where it was....anyways, he smelled UNBELIEVABLE...very pungent in a good kind of way....fruity, seriously. So I commented to him and asked what type of cologne he uses and he said he doesn't use any cologne but that is his natural body odor, he believes because of his diet. I was so blown away by his answer, I surprisingly, didn't ask any other questions....which is sooooo unlike me. Trust me, I have regretted it ever since. I have been back many times trying to find this guy because I want specifics about his diet. Have you ever heard of this before???

    Logically, it makes great sense to me....think about some of the nasty body odors some people have...and if you look at their diet, you understand it better.

    You think this guy was just eating fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds? Be interested in what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He could have been a raw foodist. When I ate all raw food, I had so much energy and a I was happy all the time. I felt lighter and wonderful. Raw food is a very hard program to follow especially in the winter. Spring and summer is the best time to detox and eat raw. I can't think of the book title that I use and I am not sure if I can say specific books due to copy right laws, so I would rather not take a chance. I have hand outs at the office of charts of food combining. Have Scott give it to you next time you come in.

    Food combining is the easy way to start eating healthy. Once you have that down then its easier to tweek the diet after that. So definitely start there.

    ReplyDelete