Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pumpkinman Triathalon

I did it!!!! I finished the Pumpkinman Triathalon. It was a beautiful day. The sun was bright and there were no clouds in the sky. We made a lot of friends on the route. We started the day with a moment of silence in remembrance of 9/11. Then cheers went up after the National Anthem. There was excitement in the air. Triathaletes from all over the country were rearing to go. Everyone was nervous but exhilarated at the same time. We were ready. We trained all summer for this moment. Running 2-3 times per week, biking 1-2 times per week, swimming 1 time a week. All that training was ready to be used. We were scared, ready to start but waiting for our waves to get called.

The elites went first. Cheers rose up. Then the next heat, and the next. and the next. I was in the 6th heat. There were only 2 heats behind me. I was nervous about getting in the water, but I was ready. My last 2 swims were practicing putting my head in the water and breathing side to side. My goal was not to be the last out of the water. Our wave was called, "GO GO GO GO". And we were off. I stood to the right and back of the pack. Everyone rushed into the water to get out front. I stood back a little. With swimming in tri's, there are so many people that some don't pay attention to where they are going and run into you, cut you off, and/or kick you. I found my pocket where the risk for getting dunked was less.  I was in the groove stroke stroke breathe, stroke stroke breathe. The finish line was near. I made it out of the water in 14 minutes, much faster than my first year. Now the climb up the hill challenge. I started jogging and then hit the steeper section and I had to walk, most people were walking. I took a breathe and smiled for my picture, then continued panting.

The transition area went smoothly. I changed out of my wetsuit, socks, shoes, helmet, and glasses on and off I went. The bike was a little challenging. There were so many hills that my legs were burning. I needed to conserve strength for the run. It was hard to push myself through the bike. The last couple of weeks of bike training was difficult. I didn't have the drive to push myself. My thoughts kept going back and forth to push harder, I am good going slower, I'm tired, I can do it. Mentally it was hard to keep focus. I finally got my drive after Great Hill. I pushed and pushed after that. I think I was very nervous to ride Great Hill that I defeating myself in the previous sections. However, I rode the 14.25 miles in 53 minutes. I beat my time again from last time. Going through transition was easy, change shoes, take off helemt and go. I went out on the trail and started running. Oh No, I forgot my number belt. I had to run back and get my belt. There was some wasted energy. After biking and then running, your legs feel like bricks. I felt like I was running so slow and I kept trying to speed up. After the first mile, I met someone on the run and we chatted the other 2 miles. It made time go by much faster. We started getting into the transition area and I started breaking out, faster and faster, down the hill. My name was called as I came through the finish line. "Jody Ferreira from South Berwick, easily running on her home turf." I did it. I finished. I felt great, exhausted but great. My time for my run was 29:44 which was faster than all my 5K's. Overall my time was 1 hour 44 minutes. Not bad. I was happy. My training paid off. Later that night we went home and was looking at different series to run. Our challenge for next year is to do Will Run for Beer series and a half marathon. Maybe the Dempsey 100 mile ride and the Danskin triatholon. But for now, weight training and figure competition is next in site.
PS: I actually did do a weight work out the next day.

Thanks for the pictures Donna!:)

9 comments:

  1. Yay! Great job! Proud of you and your bad influence hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for all of you!!! Can't tell you what an honor and priviledge it was being present at this event...TRULY inspirational day. I was there rooting on other friends....Pam and Bob Benedetto as well as you guys and didn't have to get there as early as I did...but my Soul needed to be there...needed to see the amazing sky as the sun rose over the misty fog laden water...hear and feel the quiet peace as those who were working the race were waking up, getting pumped for their role in the Tri.

    I was there also as an even coordinator watching and learning how this type of event was done...I'm a visual learner so the more I can take in with all my senses, the better.

    I wish I was writing for a newspaper about all the kindness and loving I witnessed and FELT within my very being...right in my heart. From husbands and wives kissing each other good luck, dad's showing up to support their kids, kids running into the arms of their moms or dads with such pride at the accomplishment,cow bell ringers, strangers yelling to everyone and anyone to keep going...OMG....the LOVE was overwhelming to me.

    This isn't my first experience at racing events...been involved in stock car racing, roller blade competitions and 5K's with Dana and my brothers and I have always been there in a supporting role....hmmmmm....I guess I need to think about that one.

    Maybe I was just getting myself ready, taking it all in...or....maybe not. Either way, I AM BLESSED beyond belief for having been present this Saturday to watch you, Scott, Pam and Bob each cross that finish line...LOVING hearing your names announced!!!....can't imagine what it feels like to hear your OWN NAME announced...perhaps that is something for me to aspire to...you made mention of it in your blog...I can only assume, it is MEMORABLE!!

    Nicely done, my friend....nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you!! I knew you could do it and i knew that you would conquer your fears and previous times. I never doubted you for a minute!! You are a great friend and now my primary fitness role model. I am focused on the half marathon this year but gonna do tri next year for sure. Will be counting on you and Scott to help me improve my swim!!! Loved your blog about combining foods. I have a huge salad twice a day too. My friends mom actually made fun of me once and made the comment that my salad was big enough to serve to six people, but I make my salads just like you and then there's no need for lots of bad carbs and other things because all of your nutritional needs are in one bowl. Keep posting your blogs. Look forward to them!!!!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments. Donnaif you've been a spectator for all your life, maybe its time for you to get out of the side line and work on yourself. Start with signing up for a 5K next year. You will have a year to work up to it. Start out with walking 3 times a week for 1-2 miles. After a few weeks, add in 1 minute jogs troughout the run. Then slowly move up to 2 minutes. Before you know it, you will be running 3.2 miles. Even if you can't get up to running, walking is a great way get healthy. Most of the 5K races have a walking division. Just sign up and go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, your doing great. I am going to do the Great Bay Half next year with the "Will run for Beer"series. Marcia and I are either doing the Danksin or She rox next next. Maybe the pumpkinman, not sure yet. Join us. It will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Jody! That is SEEEERIOUSLY impressive! When I get back I think we should combine your triathalons with my Rondonees and have wine tastings in between the 3 legs of the events! LOL I am guessing that wouldn't actually work out that great. There'd be a lot more puking at the finish line. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always up for wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Jody....actually started running earlier this summer, thanks to Scott's encouragment and my friend, Pam. I say "running"....that's probably a stretch....I did the walk and then run from telephone pole to telephone pole thing and it was fun...and...I set a goal before going to Europe that I would run in Paris...just wanted to "say" I did. It was the last day...serioulsy...last morning to be precise...but ya know what...I DID IT...and I was really, really proud of myself...and....I ran wwwwaaayyyy farther than I did at home because all the walking and stairs in Europe really helped me build my stamina. Doesn't seem like that short of a period would make that much difference, but honestly, it DID. It became a "bucket list" thing for me.

    So...your point is well taken....been watching long enough...I will at least SERIOUSLY think about a 5K and work all winter with that goal in mind for Spring next year.

    Great to have goals...thanks for the encouragement...it's scary....never been a runner...EVER. Matter of fact, pretty much I would tell people....you see me running, you know my ass is on fire...not kidding.

    Gotta push past the fear...I can do it, Spiritually, I do it EVERY DAY, guess it's time to get PHYSICAL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. It is hard to start, but once you get going it is fun. Realizing how far your body can go and making that progress is a great feeling. Good job running in Europe. Quite a goal. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete