Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Training Day

Yesterday, I met with a trainer for the first time. She is a body builder and competes in figures competition. She had me start with dead lifts to get my overall body. We started with easy weights to get use to this lifting exercise. Next we moved onto pull ups.  I did not do to well with this. I barely was able to do one. We continued to train back, shoulders, and biceps. She kept increasing the weights I was lifting. I usually do 3 sets of 12-15 reps.  She had me doing 6-8 reps. So my weights continued getting heavier and heavier. I kept being told to :arch my back, squeeze your shoulder blades together, stick out your butt, and tighten your abs". There is a lot to think about to lift weights properly. I always thought I lifted properly, but I guess not. I have a lot to learn. After working out, my back was tired and achy. I thought I was going to be very sore today. I am sore but not as much as I thought. I can still lift my arms over my head. That is a good sign. I guess I am in better shape than I thought.

We spoke about different aspects of training and whether I can still do triathlons. If I do a lot of cardio exercise like running and biking, then my muscles will not grow. I will lean out but not grow bigger. I am very accustomed to running, so to stop will be difficult. I need to decide what is more important. I planned on running the Will Run for Beer road series that starts in January. But she said I shouldn't run more than once a week. What to do, what to do. I also planned another triathlon and half marathon next year. If I can get those races over by the beginning of summer, then I will have 3 months to really pack on the muscle. Can I do both? Maybe. I will do some of the runs at the beginning of the season but I might have to skip the tri and half. I guess I will wait to see how my body responds to the new schedule and lifting heavier. Wish me luck:)

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! That's a lot to think about. Giving up running will be hard, but with your knee acting up maybe this is God's way of saying " time to take a break" and you should embrace the change!!! Good luck with it!!!

    ReplyDelete