Sunday, October 9, 2011

Great Island 5K

One more race down. Today we ran the Great Island 5K in Newcastle. It was a beautiful run.  The weather was perfect. The sun was shining brightly and warmed the air to 75 degrees. There were 1400 people ready and waiting at the starting line. "On your mark" "GO". and we were off. 30 seconds later we crossed the starting line. Up the first hill and around the bend we traveled. The roads were very curvy so you never know what to expect next. The first mile, I was at 10.01 min. Perfect, right on target. We slowed down in mile 2 to 10.12 min. After mile 2, I kicked it in. I wanted to average below 10 minute miles. Running faster and faster the last half mile, I proceed to pass 1, 2, 10, 20 runners. I crossed the finish line at 30.41 which put my average at 9.54 minutes. I broke my record and completed this race my fastest of the season.

I love to run. I decided not to quit running while on this journey to body building. I will continue to run 2 times a week with a lower heart rate. This will continue to get my heart rate up to burn the fat. If I am having problems with building mass then I will cut back on cardio. I am planning on another series and another triathlon next year. I plan to finish these races by July which will give my body 3 months to put on the mass for the competition.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great job getting your pace to under 10! I can't even imagine. I got to mile 13 in the marathon last week at about an 11:30 minute mile. Which is great for me. After that slowed to about 12:30 and after mile 19 began a walk/jog combo and my time really slowed! I am definitely a distance person. Slow and steady! Many times during the marathon I thought of things you have said or written in this blog and I thank you for your encouragement and inspiration! I never wanted to do a marathon and was happy with the half. Would've finished the half strong, too, but glad I did the full, even if it did take 6hours! I still want to do a tri. I will probably finish last because I don't want to give up going distances just to gain speed, but oh well, at least I will do it, right? If nothing else through this distancing running with this body of mine that is not designed for any type of running I am learning it doesn't matter how long it takes or where we place. What matters is that we are healthy enough to be out there doing these things! Keep up the good work in your training and keep the blogs coming! Who knows who you will inspire to do something next!,

    ReplyDelete