Monday, October 24, 2011

Laughter Makes the Heart Grow Stronger

It has been a great week. I have been eating healthy and working out regularly. I added the extra Insanity work outs in. It feels great to get a good sweat in and my heart rate up. My heart feels strong, my body feels strong, and my posture is more up right. I am walking taller and straigther.

I went to lift weights with my husband on Friday. I never laughed so much. He wanted to do cardio and I made him lift with me for back day. We started with dead lifts. It was very awkward for him to perform this new exercise. He was worried about his disc. During my turn, he repeatedly moved on to a new exercise and then came back when it was his turn.

When we started weight lifting years ago, we both originally performed supersets. This included back pull downs and chest press for 3 sets without a rest in between. This caused our heart rate to stay elevated to burn more calories. However, for building mass, it doesn't work this way. The body needs full recovery in between sets to allow to continue to lift heavy. I remember when I started lifting with the trainer, it was odd to rest between exercises. I don't break a sweat anymore while working out. So usually I try to do 20 minutes of cardio after weights to get in that burn.

We continue to pull ups and I showed him how to use the band to assist him to pull up. I pulled the band down, he put his knee in, removed his foot from the floor, and howled in pain. His leg hairs were being pulled by the band. I thought his back gave out, but when he told me about his hair, I laughed so hard. He is hysterical. After shifting the band around, I still couldn't get it to stop pulling his hair. To his credit, he sucked it up and continued to perform the pull-ups. After his first set, he glanced at me and stated that he would be sore tomorrow and grabbed his shoulders. I laughed again and again. He is someone who can run miles and thrives on triathlons, but to pump weights, he is not a fan. Half way through our work out, I told him this was a fun way to spend Friday afternoon together at the gym instead of at a restaurant. He sarcastically agreed. We will see what next Friday entails. P.S. He wasn't sore the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment