Sunday, October 9, 2011

Weight training on my own

After meeting with my trainer for 3 sessions, I was on my own. It was time do work on my back. I pulled out my form with my exercises on it. I started with dead lifts. I went over to the corner to the squat machine. I proceed to arrange the bar where I needed it and added the appropriate weights. I placed my hands on the bar, feet apart, back arched, shoulders down, shoulder blades back, butt out, and abs tight. WOW! There is much to remember on this one exercise. I thought I was doing them correctly all these years. Boy was I wrong. I was always told I had very good form, but not any more. It is very hard holding your shoulders back while lifting. I now know I have a lot to do to get my back strong. Next, I moved on the pull-ups(with a band). Luckily the gym was not to crowded. If you would have seen me try to get my knee into this band that was hooked over the top of the pull up bar. I was using the machine that you hold yourself up with your elbows and do leg lifts for abdominals. I had the band over the top and it reached to my stomach. I had to hold onto to the side so I don't fall and use my other hand to pull the band down. The band does not stretch very far. Standing on tipie toes didn't work either. Ok, new strategy, turn around and lean on the back and the side of the machine and pull. A little better. Trying to pull without falling over was interesting. Finally, I was able to get the tip of my knee into the band and slid it down farther. Yeah! I did it. I was ready to do the pull-ups. After the set, I squirmed my way out. That was fun. But I had to do it again. I looked around the room to make sure no one was watching and wiggled myself in it again. I could only laugh at myself. I'm sure it was a great sight.

Now moving onto wide grip pull downs. Atleast I didn't look ridiculus this time. I set my weight and pulled. I went up to six reps pretty easy, rep 7 was a huge struggle, and during rep 8 I was barely able to pull this down. This happen for all three sets as well as the next narrow handed pull downs. I continued with the rest of my work out without any other incidents. I also added extra bicep exercises since I was feeling good. The hardest part of back and shoulder training is the posture. I had to constantly remind myself to fix my posture. The trainer said as my back becomes stronger, it will be easier to keep better posture. I can't wait for that day. Next on the rotation is legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment